How do you ensure a great nights sleep?
We know how important it is to get a good nights sleep for our mental and physical health, but for many of us it just doesn’t happen.
I went to visit a friend Joan Johnston who has become an expert in the sleeping environment due to the research she has done for her new business venture Ava Innes (sleeping under cashmere). During our video interview we spoke about many topics regarding her new business and incredible facts about goats ! Joan also offered you my dear friends a 20% discount on any of her unique products kates20 is the code for you .
Here are her top tips for your bedtime routine :
Developing a bedtime routine is something we associated with children, training their brain to associate a particular pattern of events with sleep. We can use this technique for ourselves too.
A suggested sleep hygiene routine.
- Do not nap during the day.
- No caffeine after 5 pm
- Remember alcohol is not your sleep friend.
- Exercise daily, get your steps in.
- Set a regular bedtime and stick to it.
- Take a warm bath before bed.
- Do not look at any screens after bath time.
- Wear soft, cool, breathable, natural fibre nightwear eg cotton, linen or bamboo.
- Consider the quality of light/dark in your bedroom.
- Consider the temperature, we sleep better in a cool room.
- Choose bedding made from natural fibres eg cotton or linen sheets, wool pillows and a lightweight natural fibre duve